Thursday, March 01, 2007

Cherokee

Wow, it has been months and months since I last posted.

So much of my life has changed since my last post in september, or november or something rediculous like that.

I need to be not so long, 'cause I've got some stuff to get done, but here's the rundown of my life, and how it's changed since my last post:

It's a new semester, new classes, new teachers (except physics), finished math forever (merci dieu), got my diploma results back, signed up for next years courses, and am on my long and winding (sp) road, to the end of my public school career.

My musical life has changed a lot as well, since my last posting. I am still studying with Richard and Pat, and occasionally Brent (when he's in town). My combo is still together, and we still rehearse twice a week (which has become much less "rehearse" and much more "fun, jamming of music, 'cause we almost have a vague conception of what jazz is"). I was contacted by Pat to play a gig with the Edmonton X-Band, a latin band from, you'll never guess where, who needed a tenor player for the weekend. Two night gig, 10PM-2AM, at a spanish restaurant/club downtown. 80$ a night... so very excellent. I didn't play overly well, 'cause I was sightread the whole first performance, and my reading is terrible, but I learned sooo much about music, and what it's actually like in the real world. Thanks to Pat, and the band for that experience!

As well, one of the best nights of my life happened this month... February 8th, 2007... my combo did a live gig at the Beat Niq jazz and social club. I have never ever in my life, had so much fun on stage. And I really dug the night. Very much positive feedback came from it. There were a few people that I wish had been there (rich, pat, etc...) but whatever, we pretty much sold the place out as it was, and all got paid for it... that's the life.

I do believe that when I last posted, I was in a relationship. To put it bluntly (and to spite the way that she talked about it in her blog) that's over. Things started getting really rough in early november (like, late october more like), and then we managed to stick it out for a few weeks, until I finally gave in, 'cause I wasn't having any fun anymore, and her and I just didn't click anymore. We broke up somewhere in mid november (the exact date eludes me at this moment)... and after a week of contemplation, we got back together. I gave it two weeks, josh gave it one. Josh was right. (when I say that I gave it two weeks, it just means that I really wasn't sure that anything had changed... and something said... this isn't going to work)

And life continued. I was single again, as of Dec. 10. I thought that I was going to stay that way for at least a year.
And then.. she came along.

One night, a bus ride home, my head on her lap, and I had never felt so, protected/cared for... and we were just friends. Then, new years eve, she, among a bunch of other people came over, and we watched O Brother Where Art Though (sp), which is fantastic. I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I just layed my head against hers, and as we watched the movie, I knew, at that moment, that I had totaly fallen for her.

The next day, she called me, (and that's rare... a girl calling me?!?!) and asked if I wanted to go see Blood Diamond. I said sure, and it was great. Both the time, and the movie. (very very violent, but good none the less) Then we went for coffee, and again, those same thoughts. We met several times over the next few weeks (we were off for exams/christmas) and spent a LOT of time together. Enough, that she can blame any mark that she's not happy with on me (for her diplomas). We went for HUGE walks, and long hours spent in cafés. It was spectacular. Nobody ever talked to me quite so much. Nobody had ever really arranged to do things like her. She was quite a "first" for me. (as in, not first girlfriend, but, you know what I mean) Then, one night, I had e-mailed her, and asked her if we wanted to go out for coffee (again), and then she didn't respond for quite a while, so I called her, and she picked up, and was all like "sure" and we met. We grabbed coffee from Oolong tea house, and then went for another one of our eternal walks. From there, to the lazy loaf and kettle, for those of you farmilliar with this city. And then we went for a walk down the river path a bit, and sat on a bench for quite some time, and chatted. My cell phone rang (yesyes, I have entered into the evil world of cell phones... not by choice though), and it was a drummer who was calling about a jam the next day. When I shut it off, it was eight thirty. Moments after that, she asked me what a particular look that I had given her a few times over the last few days meant. After several moments of deliberation, I asked her out. the date was Jan 28. It's been a month and a day now, and life has not ever been quite as good as it is now. I'll stop there, and probably go on about this in other posts, however I have a physics lab calling.

So, that's what's new in my life. I have another gig tomorrow... yay. Corparate parties!!!!!

Well, thanks for taking time out of your day to read that.

Until the next gig,

John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home